Town Hall in Środa Śląska.
The building dates back to 15th century; it was erected on the site of an earlier wooden one. It was built with a layout of the letter L; the northern wing was connected to the already existing prison tower – the oldest element of the building. In addition to the most magnificent hall, distinguished by the Gothic vault, in the town hall there were also a court, municipal scales and a tavern. Currently, it houses the seat of the municipal local government.
Rynek Dolny (Lower Market Square) with a fountain.
Revitalized in 2017, the Lower Market Square has completely changed its appearance. As part of the investment, a new fountain, recreational seats and sites for planting were created. What has also significantly changed is the substrate, which was made of granite slabs. The market was also partially excluded from car traffic. As a result, a pedestrian and tourist-friendly place was created – the „heart” of the city, where cultural events and themed events can be organized, and where it is possible to rest with a view on the historic part of the city.
The Holy Cross Elevation Church in in Środa Śląska.
A three-nave church with a groin and barrel vault. The church with the adjacent monastery was built by the Franciscan friars, and when they left the city, a hospital for the poor was organised in the building. At the end of the 16th century, the church was rebuilt for Evangelicals. Currently, the temple serves as a parish church for the Elevation of Holy Cross parish in Środa Śląska, and in the former monastery complex houses a junior secondary school.
The Blessed Virgin Mary church in Środa Śląska.
The founder of the church was Henry the Bearded, and the building was erected approx. 1220 in the Romanesque style. To this day valuable fragments have survived: niches in the north wall of the presbytery, apses, and bases of the portal. Currently, it serves as an auxiliary church for the parish of St. Andrew the Apostle in Środa Śląska.
The treasures of Środa Śląska
The most magnificent monument contained in the Środa Śląska Treasure is a crown consisting of 12 elements. Each part is surmounted by an eagle. It was made in the second half of the 13th century. The treasury also includes: circular clamp, decorated in the middle with a chalcedony cameo, gold pendants along with silver and gold coins. The entire hoard was probably hidden in the second half of the 14th century and was found during construction works carried out in Środa Śląska in 1985 and 1988.
Defensive walls in Środa Śląska
The history of the defensive walls’ construction dates back to the 13th century. The walls lined the city boundaries and connected with (not existing anymore) buildings of the castellan’s castle. Horseshoe-shaped and polygonal defensive towers were erected at intervals of several dozen meters. Four gates led into the city: Wrocław, Świdnica, Legnica and Rzeźnicza (Butcher’s) gates. To this day, approx. 1700 meters of the walls have survived.
The Knight Roland Statue
For over 100 years an important element on the list of urban historic landmarks has been the fountain – one of three such in the city – still open today (except during the winter period). It dates back to 1912-13. It was founded by the city to commemorate the hundredth anniversary of the victory over Napoleon. A knight in armour, called Roland stands on the fountain plinth.
Monument of St. John of Nepomuk
A baroque sculpture from 1728, located near the bell tower next to the church of St. Andrew the Apostle in Środa Śląska. In 2018, the statue and the stairs leading to it, will be restored, the decorative fence surrounding the sculpture and flower pots will also return.
Gothic bell tower of the church of St. Andrew the Apostle in Środa Śląska has been an element of the city panorama probably since mid-14th century. Built on a 9 x 9 meters square plan. At its top (32 m) there is an observation deck with 140 stairs leading up to it. One can admire the panorama of the city as well as the municipality, and – given good visibility – the Ślęża Massif, Śnieżka and the Wrocław Sky Tower.
The Church of St. Andrew the Apostle in Środa Śląska
The origins of the church of St. Andrew date back to the 12th century. It is a site where three architectural styles are brought together: Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque. In 1248, the church most likely burnt down along with a group of five hundred townsfolk hiding therein. At the end of the 13th century, the nave was rebuilt. Currently, the temple serves as the parish church of the St. Andrew’s parish in Środa Śląska, led by Salesian priests.
Natural history educational trail in Brodno
The 420 m long trail with a wooden gazebo, a walkway and stairs was built in Brodno in 2014 as part of a project co-financed by the European Union. The use of the trail is facilitated by educational and information boards, dedicated to vegetation and animals, intended for carrying out interesting outdoor activities for school children and youth as well as tourists.
Lower Silesian Ecumenical Sanctuary in Bukówek
A Neo-Gothic post-evangelical church from the second half of the 19th century. After the Second World War, the Evangelical Church was transferred to the State Treasury. The lack of the owner resulted in the devastation of the church. Thanks to the involvement of the Bukówek community, the church was rebuilt and on 16 December 2000, it was consecrated by HE Cardinal Henryk Gulbinowicz. Since then, the church has functioned as the Lower Silesian Ecumenical Sanctuary.
The Church of St. Martin in Cesarzowice
Gothic church dating from the 16th-17th centuries. The tower has a restored and illuminated clock. Inside, there is a preserved wooden Gothic sandstone sacramentarium with a baptismal font and a gravestone, wooden doors and sculptures of St. Jadwiga and a bishop with a monstrance: a baroque crucifix and paintings: Madonna, Christ Crucified and in Gethsemane. In 2017, the restored defensive wall and the processional path were solemnly consecrated.
Figure of St. John of Nepomuk in Ciechów
Baroque, stone figure dating from 1726, depicting St. John of Nepomuk. For years the figure was situated at the intersection with the main road. Currently, after renovation, it was moved about 100 m west of the original site, to the junction of Jaworowa and Lipowa streets. Similar figures of St. John of Nepomuk are also found, among others, in Kryniczno, Święte and Środa Śląska.
The Church of St. John of Nepomuk in Rakoszyce
Built in the second half of the 19th century, in 1893 a tower was added, and in 1993 the temple was expanded. During the storm in 2015, the dome of the tower and the roof of the temple were destroyed. At that time, the residents found the so-called time capsule, which was closed at the top in 1934. It contained, among others, postcards, badges and handwritten documents in German. A new dome was installed on top in February 2016.
Local Centre for Rural Activity (LCRA) in Szczepanów
The modern facility has served the residents of the village and the entire municipality since 2014. It houses a nursery and a kindergarten; there is also a spacious room with kitchen facilities – an ideal place for organizing various types of cultural events. Near the LCRA there is also an amphitheatre with 84 seats for spectators, and a playground.
The Church of St. Martin in Święte
It was mentioned in 1305; the present baroque one was built in 1739, restored in 1896 and 1971-73, oriented, single-nave, with a tower partly built-in from the west. The church together with the former cemetery is surrounded by a stone wall with a gate and a door of semi-circular vaulting with iron wings and formed decorations.